Dr Mahlaba, behind bars and still Newcastle Mayor

Come see the latest issue of the Newcastillian – Online Magazine at www.newcastillian.co.za

Dr Ntuthuko Mahlaba is to remain the mayor of Newcastle, despite being behind bars and awaiting trial for murder.

Sworn in as mayor earlier this month, Mahlaba has not yet been replaced by the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal.

Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu, ANC provincial spokesperson, says Mahlaba appeared in Madadeni Magistrate’s Court on Monday, March 25, for murder, attempted murder and two counts of conspiracy to commit murder.

Also read: Newcastle Mayor arrested for murder and attempted murder

This is in connection with the murder of ex-ANC Youth League member, Wandile Ngobeni who was assassinated in 2016, as well as allegedly being linked to the attempted murder of another member.

As both Newcastle mayor and the chairperson of the ANC’s Emalahleni region, Mahlaba’s arrest came as a shock to many. His case is postponed until April 1 for his bail application.

Simelane-Zulu said the case is postponed because the State claimed it was not ready to proceed with the matter. Requesting the matter be postponed until April 1 for his formal bail application.

Simelane-Zulu emphasises the ruling party in KZN is worried about the current state of affairs in the province.

Apparently, they are worried about the developments because both the individuals facing legal charges and the deceased are both comrades. However, Simelane-Zulu says as the ANC, they believe everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

As the ANC stands back so the law can take its course and for the state to prove its case against Mahlaba, he will remain mayor of the Newcastle Municipality.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you feel Dr Mahlaba should remain mayor? Or do you think there must steps taken to replace him?

Share your views with us in the comments section below.

Please follow and like us:
error

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *