The Angling Professional League (APL) recently hosted the AA Coaches Knock Out Finals at Sandford. With the angling event taking place on 16 May 2021, members of both Breakwaters and Dannhauser Angling Clubs waited in anticipation for the draw for the Zones, with Zones D and E chosen as the battleground.
It was a day characterised by typical winter conditions, as the fish proved to be somewhat elusive, members trying various dips and baits to entice them. However, it was evident from the few catches reported that the competition was going to be a close one. The moment of truth arrived when the weigh-in started. Dannhauser AC accumulated 27 points, while Breakwaters AC finished with 39 points, seeing them crowned the AA Coaches Knock Out Champions.
Both clubs were commended for their sportsmanship and keen sense of competition. Monty Slabbert, Captain of Breakwaters Angling Club, was crowned the Angler of Day, winning the outright trophy, the purple cap, and R200 for his haul of 11 points. The APL expresses its gratitude to Yusuf Amedjee, the main sponsor of the Knock-Out Competition, and the competitors and officials for their contributions to the competition’s success.
The next fixture of the APL will be the AA Coaches Grand Challenge on May 30 at Richgate Park, where the ever-improving Dannhauser Angling Club will have another crack at Breakwaters AC, aiming to stop them from winning the treble. It is going to be another close encounter as the catches diminish during this time of the season.
Furthermore, The Mohamed Midas League Table ended with Breakwaters Angling Club topping the log with 50 points; followed by Dannhauser Angling Club on 39 points; Stillwaters Angling Club with 29 points. Challengers Angling Club standing on 18 points, and Glencoe Angling Club with 14 points.
The titleholders for the season 2020/2021 are as follows:
- Shahid Osman from NGL Angling Club with the heaviest scaled fish – 4,320kg, winning R500 incentive prize for landing a carp of over 4kg.
- Rudi Strydom of SAC with the heaviest non scaled fish – 10,680kg, winning R500 incentive prize for landing a Barbel of over 10kg.
- Ethan Jansen from NDH for his catch of a rare species – a Kurper of 885g winning R500 incentive prize.
- Talia Veran of NDH – the Junior Angler of the Year.
- Ronnie Rampersadh from BAC – Senior Angler of the Year.
- Anil Boodhoo of SAC– Angler of the Year.
Each of the category winners received an outright trophy and R250 in cash for their achievements. Well done to all the anglers for their recent accolades.
Share your thoughts in the comment section below
- Natal Fresh Waters Angling Association names new champions of Devland Impuphu Knockout Finals
- Angling News: Angling clubs cast-off to reel in the win
- Contenders reel in the win during second league of VME Angling League
- Natal Fresh Water Angling Association casts off league
- Angling Professional League officially casts off angling season