Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
It’s time to treat yourself and a friend, or a loved one to a getaway-in-the-bush. Beat the winter blues with a weekend with wine and wildlife safari under the stars at one of South Africa’s top Big Five reserves, Thanda Safari. This exclusive private game reserve ticks all the boxes with its 5-star accommodation, service and cuisine, excellent game viewing and perfect weather (even in winter).
Thanda Safari’s Wine Weekend Under The Stars, from Friday 28 to Sunday 30 May 2021 is the second collaboration with Abingdon Wine Estate and Laurie Cooper – Moët & Chandon’s Best Young Sommelier 2019, South Africa.
For a ‘wine experience’ while on safari this specially curated weekend includes a Champagne masterclass-in-the-bush, an ‘under the stars’ wine-tasting and bush dinner with the owner and winemaker of Abingdon Wine Estate and Thanda’s executive chef.
Wine Weekend Under The Stars Package:
- Dates: Friday 28 to Sunday 30 May 2021
- Price: starting from R2 995 per person sharing per night
The Package includes:
- accommodation – two (or three) nights double occupancy at the luxurious Thanda Tented Camp (spacious colonial safari-style tents, each with private viewing deck and en-suite bathroom)
- two game drives daily with guide and tracker
- all meals
- selected local beverages (soft drinks, house wines, spirits and beers)
- Excluded: conservation levy of R200 per person per stay, gratuities and all items of a personal nature.
- Terms and conditions apply.
Thanda is a proud member of The Leading Hotels of the World, a multiple winner of The World’s Leading Luxury Lodge award, ranked as one of the 20 Top Resorts in South Africa in the 2020 Condé Nast Traveller Awards, and more recently was winner at the 27th World Travel Awards for World’s Leading Luxury Private Villa 2020, as well as South Africa’s and World’s Leading Safari Lodge 2020.
At Thanda Safari you are guaranteed a unique African experience and exclusive close-up encounters with Africa’s Big Five.
Booking is essential – to make your reservations contact: Thanda Safari
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com>
- T: +27 (0) 32 586 0149 | www.thandasafari.co.za
- Facebook/Instagram: thandasafari
- Twitter: Thanda_
In keeping with new protocols regarding the Coronavirus, Thanda Safari is adhering to stringent health and safety cleaning protocols – the safety of guests and staff being of the highest priority.
Thanda Safari is a Big Five game reserve situated on 14 000 hectares in the heart of Zululand, KwaZulu-Natal owned by Swedish billionaire philanthropists Christin and Dan Olofsson. It offers an authentic South African wildlife experience with excellent game viewing all year round and has a sincere commitment to the Zulu culture and conservation of the environment; actively involved in conservation and wildlife programmes and research, it works to uplift the local communities through ‘The Star for Life’ programme and other rural community projects. 2021 heralds Thanda fulfilling its long-term vision of launching The Royal Thanda Club (incorporating the Thanda Royal Residences project). This will offer unapparelled lifestyle opportunities and experiences and will give members the opportunity to own a piece of Thanda Safari whilst giving back in the fields of nature conservation and children’s education and wellness. Thanda Safari Starlight Productions (TSSP) will comprise special musicals, concerts and artists performing in the bush, invited speakers and special events.
Guests will be able to socialise in a safe, protected, open air “theatre” with limited numbers observing all the Covid-19 safety protocols. This different and innovative model will enable Thanda to provide additional value, job protection and exciting new experiences for guests.
Thanda Safari offers three different accommodation types:
- Thanda Safari Lodge – nine bush suites with panoramic views of the surrounding game reserve
- Villa iZulu – an outstanding safari hideaway for 10 guests in five suites, has a new package that will include a fly-in safari in a helicopter for six passengers (excluding pilot); an exclusive butler, chef, guide, tracker, housekeeper and spa therapist; a flight to the beach for a fish braai (barbeque); a flip to the western mountains on Thanda to enjoy the sunset; a unique wildlife experience (rhino dehorning etc). A minimum stay of five days is required.
- Thanda Tented Camp – 15 colonial safari-style tents, each with its own viewing deck and en-suite bathrooms. As from February 2021 Thanda Tented Camp will be available for special events and exclusive use only. When there are no special events taking place, only the Thanda Safari Lodge and the Villa iZulu will be open for guests. Meaning ‘love’ in isiZulu, Thanda is a proud member of The Leading Hotels of the World, a multiple winner of The World’s Leading Luxury Lodge award, ranked as one of the 20 Top Resorts in South Africa in the 2020 Conde Nast Traveller Awards, and more recently was winner at the 27th World Travel Awards for World’s Leading Luxury Private Villa 2020, as well as South Africa’s and World’s Leading Safari Lodge 2020. Thanda Safari is situated 23km north of Hluhluwe on the N2 approximately 220km north of Durban and is easily accessible from the N2 by gravel road (no 4×4 required). Richards Bay is the closest commercial airport, with King Shaka International Airport, Durban being the closest international airport. Road transfers are available from and to Durban and Richards Bay Airports.
About Abingdon Wine Estate
Abingdon, a family business is passionate about wine, about people, the friends it makes and sharing its produce with those who truly appreciate it. The history of the KwaZulu-Natal winelands dates back 16 years to 2004. Call it madness, or an act of genius, Ian Smorthwaite, a production engineer with no background in viticulture, together with his wife, Jane Smorthwaite, took a giant leap of faith and began a journey of pioneering wine on their farm in Lions River. Located in the rolling hills just beyond Howick, Abingdon Wine Estate is a unique pioneering estate which has positioned itself as a serious high altitude single vineyard boutique wine producer in KZN.
Situated at 1140m above sea level, the Estate has just under 4ha under vine and produces certified single vineyard estate wines from 100% Abingdon grapes. The cultivars planted are Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Nebbiolo & Tempranillo; the soils are Clovelly and Griffon and offer good drainage, which is most welcome, especially when rain shows itself in summer. Abingdon’s maiden vintage, a 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon/ Shiraz blend, was the first ever certified estate wine made in KwaZulu-Natal. Thereafter, the farm has seen the release and swift sales of well over 100 certified Estate wines to date all representing Lions River, KwaZulu-Natal Wine of Origin. Abingdon sells its wine cellar door from its popular tasting room (opened in August 2009. The tasting room was the recipient of the American Express Dining Awards South Africa’s Best Kept Secret in 2019. Abingdon wines have received accolades and awards both locally and abroad.
This post and content is sponsored and provided by Thanda Safari