Are sexual crimes becoming more and prevalent within society? Are sexual predators targeting more and more women and children to satisfy their sordid desires?
As South Africa focuses on 16 Days of Activism, a period of time where awareness is created about gender-based violence and sex crimes, it seems the awareness campaign has been marred by violent acts against both women and children.
A 45-year-old man has been sentenced to six terms of life imprisonment, a further five years imprisonment for being in possession of an unlicensed firearm, and his name will also now appear in the National Register for Sexual Offenders.
This follows the Scottburgh Regional Court heard how the man sexually violated six girls between the ages of six and 13.
Colonel Thembeka Mbele explains the perpetrator would lure the victims to his house at KwaMgayi Reserve in Sawoti, where he would then rape them. After raping them, he would threaten to kill them if they informed anyone about the incident. He would also pay the victims R2 for their silence.
His crimes came to light when two of the victims got into an argument. Upon hearing the argument, a family member of one of the youngsters’ called them and questioned them. It was then that the two girls told the family member the suspect had been raping them.
The matter was reported to the Sawoti Police, where the case was then transferred to the Port Shepstone Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit (FCS) for further investigation.
Following the suspect’s arrest, four more victims came forward.
KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Khombinkosi Jula says the SAPS welcomes the sentence handed down to the accused who abused the trust of children for his own vile reasons.
In another incident, a 43-year old man is facing 20 years imprisonment for raping his 13-year-old daughter. This follows the sentencing by Ntuzuma Regional Court.
The incident occurred in December 2017, while the teenager was living with her father and stepmother. On the day of the rape, the child’s father came home while his wife was out; grabbing his daughter and raping her.
Following the rape, he blamed her mother for leaving him, before threatening to kill the teenage girl if she reported the incident.
Despite the threat to her life, a case of rape was opened at the Inanda Police Station. The case was then transferred to the Inanda Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit for investigation.
The accused was immediately arrested and taken to court. Denied bail, the father remained in custody throughout the trial, which finally concluded on December 4.
As he now prepares to serve 20 years imprisonment, he is also declared unfit to possess a firearm. His name will also appear in the National Register for Sexual Offenders.
The KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Khombinkosi Jula commends the investigating officer.
Through the investigating officer’s efforts, the accused remained in custody throughout the trial for the victim’s safety. Furthermore, it also through the officer’s work that the accuses was is also successfully prosecuted.
Well done to all the officers involved in the arrests of the two perpetrators, ensuring no further children fall victim to the suspects’ twisted desires.